[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Creation Evolution University • View topic - Wagering Your Soul on Creation/Evolution Controversy

Wagering Your Soul on Creation/Evolution Controversy

A forum for discussion and criticism of specialized topics relevant (pro and con) to Creation Science - fossil dating, flood geology, C14, K/Ar, radio metric dating, diffusion dating, racemization dating, DNA dating, stellar and planetary evolution, erosion dating, fast stratification, interpretations of the geological column, baraminology, distant starlight problem, Y-chromosomal Adam/Noah/Aaron/Abraham, mitochondrial Eve, Tower of Babel, Proton-21 laboratory, Sodom and Gomorrah, OEC,YEC, Progressive creation, white hole cosmology, Carmeli cosmology, VSL theories, alternate electrodynamics, mantle plume theories, folding rock theories, RATE work, planetary magnetism, faint young sun paradox, moon recession, ocean mineral saturation, astrometry and proper motion surveys, very long baseline interferometry, CMBR, moon evolution, cosmological vs. non-cosmological red shifts, polonium halos, Hydro Plates and Castastrophic Plates, varves, tree rings, noah's ark, over thrusts, lithification, hydrologic sorting, canopy theory, crater theory, planetary heating, ancient civilizations, Atlantis, trophical trees in the arctic, woolly mammoths and tropical trees in Siberia, UFOs and creationism, comets and orbital mechanics, planet satellite capture problems, planetary rings, origin of folded rocks, the Grand Canyon, the Green River valley, the Three Sisters, mountain formation, seafloor formation, tectonics, etc.

Wagering Your Soul on Creation/Evolution Controversy

Postby stcordova » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 pm

stcordova

Re: Wagering Your Soul on Creation/Evolution Controversy

Postby stcordova » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Creation/comme ... r/dw56rjr/

>I really don't understand why any of this matters

If the Christian God is real it changes the way people should live their lives. Since people are not usually 100% sure He is real or not real, then I think that still has bearing on how people would live their lives. Lots of decision about how we live are made with not 100% validation of what is real or true.

Big decisions are sometimes made on very low probability events, like say the probability of getting in a fatal car accident when the roads are slick. Suppose someone concludes he has a 1% chance of dying if he went out and drove somewhere for some non-urgent matter. I know I was faced with comparable decisions on whether to take a joy ride in an airplane given the weather or other flying considerations.

After an acquaintance in my flight school was killed, it changed the way I did business with low probability events. Here is the sad account of my acquaintance. The last time I spoke to him was on the radio. We were flying around the airport together one night. He overheard me announcing my position as I approach for a night landing. We chatted for less than 30 seconds on the airport frequency at Shenandoah airport, and somehow it slipped out of my mouth that had to lady passengers whom I was taking sight seeing. After we figured out where each of us were around the airfield at night he said, "I have a visual." I laughed.

This was the sad news a few months later: http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/85096.html

There were Epistemic issues involved in John Zachary and Michael Lease's death, namely the uncertainties about aircraft performance given the hot weather conditions. Word got to me that my fellow flying student Andrew R. came along for the ride with , but decided to step out of the plane after it landed, because he felt it could not safely take off again. Andrew R. survived. He weighed the epistemic values and potential rewards and payoffs. He erred on the side of caution. I'm told he had to suffer the sad sight of seeing his two friends burn to death.

That influenced how I view the epistemic certainties in the Creation and Evolution controversy, it's not just about the odds of being right or wrong, but what will happen to someone's soul if there is a Christian God -- as in heaven or hell.
stcordova

Return to Creation Science