Example of using spam and jam to thwart truth

For ID and creation science to prosper, the ability to communicate is vital from movies to books to social media to classroom to Sunday sermons. It is also vital to understand how opponents of ID and creation science use and abuse channels of communication. For example, the movie "Inherit the Wind" had tremendous impact on the culture in a way that was harmful to ID and creation science. This forum explores these topics.

Re: Example of using spam and jam to thwart truth

Postby Gregory Numskull » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 am

stcordova,

You still haven't answer my question about capitalization of "Intelligent Design" vs. using lowercase "intelligent design".

IDT is a religious movement and YECs are stupid just like you.
Gregory Numskull

Postby stcordova » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:37 pm

My claim was:

When someone is making case arguing his points exceptionally well in a discussion, there are tactics that the opposition can use to make the discussion essentially non-productive and thwart communication of the truth.

No one has refuted it. Can you all try to address the points.
stcordova

Postby Non Sequitur » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Darwinian evolution is fact, fact, fact, therefore what you say is false.
Non Sequitur

Postby johnspenn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:29 pm

I feel like I'm back at UD when i read this! :lol:
johnspenn

Postby kairosfocus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:38 am

Sadly, too often, yes.

Spam and Jam is applied Rules for Radicals a la Saul Alinsky. It is worth the while to cite for reference hence-forward:

"The end is what you want, the means is how you get it. Whenever we think about social change, the question of means and ends arises. The man of action views the issue of means and ends in pragmatic and strategic terms. He has no other problem; he thinks only of his actual resources and the possibilities of various choices of action. He asks of ends only whether they are achievable and worth the cost; of means, only whether they will work. ... The real arena is corrupt and bloody." RFR p.24

"The means-and-ends moralists, constantly obsessed with the ethics of the means used by the Have-Nots against the Haves, should search themselves as to their real political position. In fact, they are passive — but real — allies of the Haves…. The most unethical of all means is the non-use of any means... The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be." pp.25-26

"The first step in community organization is community disorganization. The disruption of the present organization is the first step toward community organization. Present arrangements must be disorganized if they are to be displace by new patterns.... All change means disorganization of the old and organization of the new." p.116

5. "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage." . . . .

13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. [NB: Notice the evil counsel to find a way to attack the man, not the issue. The easiest way to do that, is to use the trifecta stratagem: distract, distort, demonise.] In conflict tactics there are certain rules that [should be regarded] as universalities. One is that the opposition must be singled out as the target and 'frozen.'...

"...any target can always say, 'Why do you center on me when there are others to blame as well?' When your 'freeze the target,' you disregard these [rational but distracting] arguments.... Then, as you zero in and freeze your target and carry out your attack, all the 'others' come out of the woodwork very soon. They become visible by their support of the target...'

"One acts decisively only in the conviction that all the angels are on one side and all the devils on the other." [cf. pp. 127 - 134]

We need to understand what we are dealing with.

By contrast here is the Apostle Paul on ethics of communication:

2 Corinthians 4

New International Version (NIV)

4:1 Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. 2 Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God . . .

A challenge to us all.

KF

PS, I see Youtube enabled, so here is Plato's parable of the cave for enrichment of one and all:

kairosfocus

Previous

Return to Rhetoric, Performing Arts, Movies, Communication