Archeology Topic - Displaced Dynasties

A forum for exploring archaeology and history and discussing, criticizing and developing Christian Apologetics.

Archeology Topic - Displaced Dynasties

Postby Jehu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Has anybody heard of Jim Reilly's displaced dynasties books?

http://www.displaceddynasties.com/

They are an amazing in-depth analysis of problems with the standard chronology of Egyptian dynasties and his revised chronology.
Jehu

Re: Archeology Topic - Displaced Dynasties

Postby mycorrhizae » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:21 am

There is no doubt that Secular revisionists will always attempt to revise and discredit anything biblical. They have to, they have no choice. But there is one interesting point in that link you gave which I find interesting. The subject of Pharaoh Djoser and whether or not he could be the same individual mentioned in the Biblical account of Jacob's son Joseph. The History Channel a couple years back had an interesting take and description of Pharaoh Djoser where the inscriptions were found somewhere along the Nile about his being administrator over food supplies in Egypt. The inscriptions do mention an exact period of 7 years drought which not only effected Egypt, but the entire then known world. They mentioned that Egypt had all this abundance of food stuffs and people traveled as far away as Mesopotamia spending their gold, silver and other very precious valuable things just for food. Egypt became wealthy as a result. It was uncanny the accuracy of the account relayed in that documentary. But they made no attempt to equate this Pharaoh Djoser with the biblical Joseph.

The question begs, could Joseph have been given a title as that of Pharaoh, but to a lesser degree ? I actually am going to be posing this speculative question this weekend at an assembly in Oslo Norway, but that is another story. I'll refer to the description about the miraculous change or dramatic turn around in Joseph's circumstances where he correctly interpreted a dream of Pharaoh and was rewarded handsomely for it. The description of the power and authority is interesting in the account. There is an interesting few pieces of information in Pharaoh's actions that are interesting which could lead one to believe that Joseph may have been given such a title of sorts at Genesis 41:37-57.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2041:37-57&version=AMP

I'll not post it, but you can still read the account. There was the point mentioned where Pharaoh took off his own Signet Ring from off his own finger and gave it to Joseph. Such an official ring would have been used in any legal capacity in communication of policies and official government programs. Such a rule, law or regulation in administration by Joseph would have been considered as coming from Pharaoh himself. Indeed as the text mentions, all Egyptian citizen were to bow before Joseph as Pharaoh. Only Pharaoh himself would be over Joseph.

I've found a comparison in a Babylonian example of where Belshazzar was referenced as King of Babylon and much higher criticism of this comes from the fact that his father Nabonidus was actual King of Babylon. This was true, but Nabonidus was often away on official business throughout his empire and his Son was left in charge of the Capital city Babylon and represented his father as King in his absence. So it would not be out of line to infer that Joseph may have had such a title in view of what Pharaoh himself said officially. Nevertheless, the higher critics with worldview axes to grind will always strain the gnat so to speak in favour of justification of their stance and take on life.

I ultimately have no idea if this Djoser was indeed Joseph, but the other circumstantial evidence of 7 years famine and people from all over the then known world of other geographical Kingdoms coming to part take of Egypt's clear over abundance is interesting. I've heard other criticism that the Biblical account isn't the only account of a 7 years famine and therefore could not be taken seriously, as even Mesopotamia has such written recorded information. That's hardly evidence against, but rather for the accuracy. Still, pondering the possibility of Josph/Djoser connection is still interesting, but changes nothing in the long run

-
mycorrhizae

Postby Jehu » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm

If anybody, Joseph was not Djoser but Djoser's visier Imhotep, which is what Reilly's timeline supports. Traditional chronologies would have Joseph and Imhotep living in different centuries.
Jehu

Postby mycorrhizae » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 am

Jehu wrote:If anybody, Joseph was not Djoser but Djoser's visier Imhotep, which is what Reilly's timeline supports. Traditional chronologies would have Joseph and Imhotep living in different centuries.

Sure enough Jehu, that is why I said I am not truly sure. Also, I am not always convinced of all secular dating and reporting from the past, anymore than I give absolute blind belief in modern News items today. I have to take it all with a grain of salt. I find that many ancient Kingdoms tend to hide unflattering truths and defeats about their past and exaggerate and embellish about their supposed achievements and Victories of the past. Almost uncanny the similarity of today.

Nevertheless, I did find the ancient reporting of similar climate events interesting if nothing else.

-
mycorrhizae

Return to Christian Apologetics, Archaeology, History