Elisabeth Elliot didn't do much to make me love God

Any topic under the sun.

Elisabeth Elliot didn't do much to make me love God

Postby stcordova » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 am

From
http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/stu ... lliot.html

I heard Elizabeth Elliot speak once when I was in college, forty years ago. The topic, as I recall, wasn’t sex and chastity; it was discipleship. I can’t remember what she said, but I vividly remember her demeanor, and I remember thinking, “This woman scares me.” She came across as angry, as though she had some underlying issue or issues in her life — a bee in her bonnet, as it were — that she hadn’t dealt with. I found her very abrasive and off-putting, and I wasn’t the only one in the audience who did. Her then-husband, on the other hand, a Presbyterian theologian, was a guy I got to know fairly well and was one of the nicest people I met during my college days. I wonder in hindsight who the dominant one was in their relationship.

I second that comment by the reader named "Doug".

When I heard Elisabeth Elliot on the radio, I thought to my self, "this woman has a lot of contempt for people."

She never struck me as caring for her listeners. Now reflecting on things, she sounded like someone with lots of bitterness and anger issues, yet because her husband was martyred on the mission field, she is an exalted figure in evangelical circles.

When I heard her speak, I thought to myself, "she doesn't incline me to love God." Thankfully, I found other reasons to love God than Elisabeth's abrasive personality.
stcordova

Return to Any topic under the sun